Legal Question in DUI Law in North Carolina

I talked to a lawyer about my dwi case. This is my first time getting a dwi. He did go and get my first court date continued with my understanding he was only charging me $1,000. The next time i went to talk to him it is now $2,000. I can't afford this. When I go to court on my next court date can i ask for a court appointed lawyer? I have not signed any papers or gave this lawyer any money yet for continuing my first court date. What can I do? I do not want to use him anymore, I would rather have a court appointed lawyer that I can afford.

Asked on 3/06/11, 11:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian Jones The Law Office of Brian P. Jones

You only get a court appointed lawyer if you cannot afford your own lawyer. They are not paid by you. You are required to fill out a financial statement proving your inability to pay. If your income falls below a certain level, you are considered indigent.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

Read more
Answered on 3/09/11, 11:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in North Carolina