Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

I had a baby and signed away my rights for the purpose of adoption the father was tracked down and took custody of the child, I am getting served with child support papers, I dont have the financial ability to do this, its a big reason I was pushing for adoption, what do I do

Asked on 4/01/14, 11:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

In North Carolina, if your parental rights were terminated, you have no obligation to pay child support. If your rights were never formally terminated because the father took custody and the adoption was no longer necessary, you may still have a decent argument to avoid child support because it was initially your intent to have your parental rights terminated and but for the father butting in - your rights would have been terminated. As an incentive to get father to back off of pursuing child support you may want to consider contacting him and demanding visitation or seek some sort of joint custody where neither party would pay child support directly to the other.

Read more
Answered on 4/01/14, 12:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina