Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

name change father not to be found

Hi I would like to change my son's middle name but have been divorced from his father for 2 years. He is in and out of jail and has made no effort to be in his son's life (no contact of any kind and no child support). When he's not in jail, I have absolutely no way to find him (he lives in TX I live in NC). Will I be able to change my son's middle name without his father's consent? Thank You.

Asked on 1/14/07, 7:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dennis Gibson Law Office of Dennis Gibson

Re: name change father not to be found

Upon determination by a court or clerk of superior court that the child has been abandoned by one parent, then the other may change the name of a child. There are a lot of procedural hoops to jump through but it could be done.

Read more
Answered on 1/14/07, 10:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina