Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Child custody

My sister is planning to move to California, she has a 4-year old daughter. The father and her were never married, does he have any rights if he is not paying child support?

Asked on 10/15/03, 1:06 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Dieter Zacher Law Offices of Dieter Zacher

Re: Child custody

No. The father must first be determined to be the father either by a written document when the child was born, or, by the court. If neither, then, the child belongs to the mother. She can move wherever she wants.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/03, 2:34 pm

Nina Gohari Law Office Of Nina N. Gohari

Re: Child custody

Yes, if the minor child is in custody of your sister then your sister is entitled to child support under a paternity action. If your sister needs assistance then I encourage her to call us at 310-839-7700 for a free initial office consultation.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/03, 4:22 pm
Donald Holben Donald R. Holben & Associates, APC

Re: Child custody

Has the father been determined in fact to be the father. If not, the child is your sisters. Child support is not connected to visitation.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/03, 5:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina