Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Child Support Obligation To Child With No Legal Guardian

Do I have to continue paying child support? My daughter is 16 years old. She lives with her boyfriend and his parents. She had a baby in September of this year. Her mother abandoned her. I don't have custody of my daughter.Her boyfriend and father of her baby is 18 years old. Apparently no one has legal custody or is legal guardian of her at this time. I currently pay support to the court where she used to live. Her aunt still gets her child support checks and keeps them for her own use not my daughters.

Asked on 10/16/98, 3:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Olivier Long Law Office of Olivier Denier Long

Re: Child Support // Emancipated Child

Sounds like your daughter is emancipated. This means she is no longer dependant on her parents for support. The proof is fact-specific, and will require a hearing on your motion to "terminate child support."

Olivier Long

Law Offices of Olivier Denier Long

10500 Sager Avenue, #B

Read more
Answered on 12/29/98, 8:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina