Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

How can I get a content order against a absent parent for back pay of child support?

Asked on 10/15/13, 4:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

What is a "content" order. I have heard of consent orders but that those are where both parties consent to the order.

You can seek retroactive child support for up to 3 years but you have to show what the child's reasonable expenses were during that period. Otherwise, support orders are prospective and run from the date the support complaint is filed.

If there is already a child support order established and if the obligor parent does not pay, you can seek to have the delinquent parent held in contempt. It depends on how the order was established - is this a Title IV-D case where an order was set up through child support enforcement? If so or if you are on public assistance, when the support arrears get to be $2000, the child support authorities will go after the delinquent parent. If you obtained a support order privately, then you should get a family law attorney to file the contempt petition. If you cannot afford counsel, then seek help from your county child support enforcement agency.

Go to to obtain information about child support in NC as well as get the contact information for your county.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/13, 12:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina