Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

I have a court-ordered child support agreement and recently my child went to live with the non-custodial parent. Does my ex still have to continue paying support or do I now have to pay him?

Asked on 4/23/14, 2:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

If the move is permanent, yes the payment roles should be reversed. However, this needs to be done through a formal modification of your current order ASAP preferably through some sort of consent order (meaning you and the non-custodial parent have discussed the matter and have come to a fair and reasonable agreement) especially if the non-custodial parent is paying through child support enforcement and not paying you directly otherwise a court order is a court order and the status quo should be maintained and you are not suppose to ignore the order and simply do what ever you want (although this does happen quite frequently when circumstances change).

Read more
Answered on 4/23/14, 7:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina