Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My divorce has been almost a year a ago, my ex wife is saying I owe $1200 in medical bills she made after our separation. In our agreement I was paying her car off and paying an old medical bill off then she would sign the other car and the house my mother is living in. She is refusing to sign them over unless I pay 1200 in medical bills.

Asked on 5/08/13, 11:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

If your Separation Agreement does not require you to pay her medical bills which occurred after the Separation Agreement was signed AND if she is required to sign over the house and car upon your payment of her car and medical bills before the Separation Agreement AND if your Separation Agreement was incorporated into your divorce - it is a simply matter of filing a show cause action. If things are the way you say they are, the court will order her to sign over the property. If who ever drafted your Separation Agreement was smart enough to put in a clause about a breaching party being responsible for the non breaching parties attorney fees and cost - the court may order her to reimburse you for that as well. So if all of the above is the case, your best bet is to give her a call, tell you ain't paying her squat, and that she has 3 days to sign over the property or you will file the show cause action to force her to do it and seek reimbursement of your expenses to boot. If she still refuses, go see a family law attorney about your options and let the spankage begin.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/13, 3:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina