Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Can I keep my house in NC . Liens muddle by ex muddle deed . LLC complicating sale. Did sign a quick claim deed in Florida . Also does my present wife have rights ? Thank you.

Asked on 4/29/22, 8:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Can I keep my house in NC? Maybe, you haven't provided enough information for us to answer that with any meaningful degree of accuracy. However, if there are liens on the house you will likely at a minimum need to resolve those liens. Also does my present wife have rights? Depends. The house issue should have been completely resolved (at least as far as your ex is concerned) before or during the divorce. If you did your own divorce or the house issue was otherwise not properly resolved then you are likely screwed for keeping the house because you and your ex will be tenants in common. If so that means your current wife has no rights to the house and either you or your ex could force a sale of the house with proceeds to be split 50/50 and that's after any properly filed liens are satisfied - in other words you may not get anything. Your best bet is to consult with a local family law attorney who can assess your situation in more detail than can be done here and lay out any options you have. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/22, 6:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina