Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

implementation of indian courts judgements in US

I 27 yrear old indian female married to US Resident(Green card holder). We got married in 2000 in India with indian hindu legal system of marriage and our marriage is properly registered. after marriage and 1 month of honey moon he left for US and never returned after waiting for so long I filed a divorce and maintenance case in Indian court . I have sent him notices for maintenance for which he has responded . I will get the decree in my favour adn maintenance too. but te grave probem is implementation. I wnat to know can I implement maintenance judgement given by Indian court in US . secondly is there any other method of making him pay maintenance ,he has not maintained me all along my parents are old and unable to support me for life long and divorce is a curse in indian society it will be difficult for me to get remarried please look into all circumstances and advise me , if there is anything you feel can be done in absolutel fresh way or modification to present going on or anything taht you deem fit please advise me I'll be indebted.



Asked on 8/30/03, 5:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jayesh Desai Jayesh Desai

Re: implementation of indian courts judgements in US

This is based on info provided by you. Once you get a Divorce and maintenance decree in India, you can attach his porperty, if it is in India. Or in the alternative based on it, you can initiate a legal proceedings in US, by which you can call for maintenance.

Accurate advise can be given only if papers can be seen. This can act only as guide lines.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/03, 7:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina