Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

How can I legally denounce certain members of my family?

Asked on 8/07/13, 1:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

By repeating I denounce you! I denounce you! I denounce you! while spinning in a circle and clicking your heels 3 times - ah, I made a funny! Seriously though, denounce means 1.Publicly declare to be wrong or evil. or 2. To inform against. The law at least in North Carolina does not provide a 'legal' method of doing this. Other than giving testimony in court of otherwise under oath. However, I suspect maybe you didn't mean 'denounce' but rather 'renounce' which means 1.Formally declare one's abandonment of (a claim, right, or possession). or 2.Refuse to recognize or abide by any longer. If so, there is a procedure for children of a certain age to be emancipated from their parent(s) under certain circumstances. Also, a spouse can divorce the other spouse. A person can be removed as a father from a birth certificate with DNA evidence showing h is not the father. Other than that, I can not think of any other ways to 'legally' renounce a family relationship.

Read more
Answered on 8/07/13, 1:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina