Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

If the parents are divorced, and the mother lives in GA with their two children, could the father take the mother to court in NC? The court order states that visitation take place in NC, so would the NC court have jurisdiction?

What would it take to be able to reinforce the court order for the father's visitation of his kids?

The mother has kept them from him time and time again, and is going against the court order.

Asked on 4/15/14, 9:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Typically, jurisdiction will be where the children reside. So most likely father would need to hire a GA attorney to have a GA court order enforced and force mother to comply with the visitation. However, child custody and visitation jurisdiction can be complex so father's best bet would be to consult with an experienced NC Family Law attorney first ASAP to find out the best options for resolving this issue.

Read more
Answered on 4/15/14, 11:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina