Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

To many questions and no answers

I fathered a child with this female and we had a blood test done and the child came back as my child. Well the mother met someone else and got married and changed my childs last name to his without me signing anything. Her husband own his own busniess my question is: Is it legal for her just to change my child last name? and Should I be paying child support if she changed her name and her husband got his own business and probably adopt her?

Asked on 11/13/03, 12:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: To many questions and no answers

You need to check with an attorney in the state where your custody order was rendered and your support set. In Louisiana the name should not have been changed without your consent unless she claimed you were unknown or one of the non-consent requirements was claimed. You should be paying support no matter what the child's name is, however, if the step-father adopts your child, then you lose all rights and do not have to pay support.

Read more
Answered on 11/14/03, 8:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina