Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

What steps/actions do I need to take in order to see my child if I am paying child support and my child’s mom has moved out of state and is not letting me see my child at all or talk to her on the phone? Also I’ve tried to talk to the case worker about this but she will not answer the phone nor return my phone calls when I leave voicemails.

Asked on 12/26/20, 12:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Payment of child support is irrelevant to visitation. In other words, paying child support doesn't make you more entitled to visitation. Whether you are paying child support or not paying child support - your entitlement to visitation is the same. So if the mother is being a jerk and is withholding visitation without good cause, then you need to hire a local family law attorney where the child currently reside and have the Court pop her good and proper. Once you have done that, you likely won't have any further problems with her unless she is very, very dumb. In which case, you may have to have the Court pop her several times before she learns her lesson. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/27/20, 9:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina