Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

If I sue and win an alienation of affection/criminal conversation case (in NC), what happens if the defendant has few assets? Is there any way to collect damages...over time, garnishing wages, etc.? Otherwise, I suppose I would be suing for the principal, which is fine, but not if I have thousands of dollars in attorney fees and collect no actual damages.

Asked on 1/29/14, 8:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

This is why you research the Defendant's assets prior to filing suit otherwise you could end up with a judgment that has about the same worth as toilet paper! As to suing for the 'principal', if the Defendant is judgment proof all you would be doing is allowing the Defendant to punch you in your wallet in addition to the punch to your marriage.

Read more
Answered on 1/29/14, 10:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina