Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

my wife and I share custody over my son, can I move out of the state of North Carolina; the temporary order states that neither party is to remove the minor children out of the State of North Carolina without notifying the other party in advance.

Asked on 8/29/18, 9:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Depends on what you are asking. If you are asking if you can leave - sure. If you are asking if you can leave with the child, then according to what you posted - sure, as long as you "notify the other party in advance". Of course I have doubts that is the exact wording of the Order. And if it is, it is an incredibly poorly drafted order as you could essentially pack you and your kid up, tuck a note in her mail box on the way out of town and be on your way likely in full compliance with the Order To be on the safe side, you likely should consult with a local family law attorney regarding your obligations under the Order before you make plans to leave with the child. Even if your Order is that poorly drafted, if you leave with the child, you'd likely just be ordered to bring the child back.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/18, 12:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina