Legal Question in Civil Litigation in North Carolina

What should I do to get my car and title back from ex. car was mine brfore marrige?

Asked on 4/27/13, 2:22 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

You need to re post your question with more information. Who's name is title in now, hers alone or both of yours? Did you all ever have any written agreements about the car?

You say ex...have you been legally divorced and if so was an equitable distribution motion filed.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/13, 3:29 pm

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

If the car was yours free and clear before your marriage - it is your separate property. There are two basic ways to get the car back: 1) Get your keys, get in it and drive happily away. However, you can not breach the peace when you do that or violate any other laws such as trespassing. 2) File a civil suit either in small claims or district court to force her to return the car.

As to the title, you can either apply for a new one or file a small claims action to force her to return it to you.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/13, 9:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in North Carolina