Legal Question in Civil Litigation in North Carolina

I have received a magistrate summons from small claims court for an unsecured loan of $1000.00 from a finance company in N.C. I was wondering what they can do and if I have to show up for court if I cant pay it?

Asked on 3/24/18, 2:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

What they can do is get a judgement against you. If they get the judgment, it will likely negatively effect your credit and if you have any assets that are not exempt, basically they can use the judgment to take those things from you to satisfy the loan. As to showing up, you don't have to but if you don't the odds that they will get the judgment go up dramatically.

Read more
Answered on 3/25/18, 10:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in North Carolina