Legal Question in Health Care Law in North Carolina

If someone was brought into the emergency room from a 911 call, and the hospital sent him to a facility for mental health or addiction, is it possible for a family member to have him moved to another facility?

Asked on 3/14/13, 9:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

yes, potentially. First, the family member will have to have the right to speak for that person. Say a brother typically doesn't have the right to direct the medical treatment of a sibling without a medical power of attorney or some document that gives this power.

Next, if a person is sent to a facility for mental health or addiction, the persons responsible for his care must ensure he is cared for and can only release him which proper treatment is given.

Read more
Answered on 3/14/13, 12:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Health Care Law questions and answers in North Carolina