Legal Question in Insurance Law in North Carolina

I signed a release form from an auto insurance company for $11,000 and they are refusing to pay. What are my legal options?

Asked on 4/25/13, 8:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

Upon signing the release, they would normally disburse the proceeds. If not, then in theory you could sue them for breach of contract, and perhaps also for bad faith (depending on a lot of variables). My primary question would be whether there might be a lien-holder about whom they are concerned. E.g., if the settlement is for bodily injury, then a hospital might have a lien; or Medicaid or Medicare might have a lien. If the settlement is for property damage, then a lender could have an interest in the vehicle. If they continue to refuse to pay you, then you probably need to take the matter to a lawyer and provide him or her with more information to get more guidance.

Read more
Answered on 4/25/13, 8:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in North Carolina