Legal Question in Employment Law in North Carolina

Can I sue someone for slandering my name causing me to be duscharged from my job?

Asked on 10/16/13, 6:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

Yes, is VERY difficult.

1. You need to prove that the person made a comment heard by someone else. (you need testimony from the person who heard it and it is difficult to get people to testify, when they don't want to get involved).

2. You need to prove that the statement was a lie and that the person absolutely knew it was a lie (this is the most difficult part as the person will just get on the stand and say they thought it was you need other evidence)

3. You need to prove financial harm...that you lost your job, but you have to show that "but for" the comment you would still have the job. Or said another way, you have to show that the comment by itself caused you to lose your job.

Read more
Answered on 10/17/13, 5:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in North Carolina