Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in North Carolina

Am I obligated to return a tenant's security deposit if the tenant had to move out due to a fire (started from the tenant's malfunctioning equipment) when I had to pay $1000 fire insurance deductible to get the house repaired? The tenant moved out in May, the lease is up in August (valid until 7/31), and by agreement the tenant did not have to pay the lease while the house was not liveable. The tenant has secured another residence and will not move back in now that the house is fixed.

Asked on 6/03/10, 2:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeff Rosner Rosner Law Firm P.A.

You will have to review your lease or hire an attorney to review it. You are required to send an accounting of the security deposit even if you don't return it.

Read more
Answered on 6/04/10, 4:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in North Carolina