Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in North Carolina

If I'm found guilty in a Civil Suit for 10K can my wages or Social Security be garnished?

Asked on 5/27/11, 12:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Why is this coded as a medical malpractice issue? If there is malpractice and you or the person you are asking for is worried about that, then speak with the defense attorney provided by the malpractice insurer. Ditto if these are damages from something like an auto accident. If you don't have a lawyer and need your own, get one.

There is no wage garnishment or garnishment of Social Security for ordinary debts. Garnishment is only allowed for child support, taxes owed to the IRS or NC Department on Revenue, for some other kind of debt owed to a federal or state agency or federal student loan debt.

There is a caveat for Social Security - it loses its protected status if you commingle the exempt Social Security with funds of another person or with other non-exempt funds.

I don't know your circumstances or anything about the debt. I give free consults via email. You can contact me at [email protected] If this is regular unsecured debt (like a credit card or personal loan), I generally can assist in resolving it for a reasonable fee.

If you have a lot of debts, then maybe speak to a bankruptcy attorney. Many give free consults and just because you get a consult does not mean that you have to file.

If you have other debts and bankruptcy is not an option, consider a debt settlement company. While there are many scam artists out there, the website below is for a company that is not one of them:

I provide legal services to their Georgia ad Pennsylvania clients; a colleague of mine provides legal services to the North Carolina clients. Check them out and if you are interested, give them a call.

Read more
Answered on 5/27/11, 2:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in North Carolina