Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

abuse in foster care

i was in foster care for 13yrs. wthout the state doing anything to assure permant placement. i was in many abuseive homes and have mental problems because of it. is it possible to sue the state for allowing this to happen. even when others were aware nothing was done, or if i was moved the next place was as bad if not worse. my sence of self was destroyed. i have no friends because i didn't ever have achance to learn how to form relationships. i am deaing with the past and working out my mental problems, but i am mad. someone should have to be held accountable. attention needs to be brougt to this so that others do not have to live as i did. i know that iwas not the only one. i was brtween the ages of 2 and 15 at the time

Asked on 4/23/99, 9:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eleanor MacCorkle Eleanor MacCorkle, Attorney at Law

Re: abuse in foster care

It is possible to seek recovery from the responsible state agency, but to be awarded a recovery you would have to show that the agency failed to meet their legal obligation to you and the problems you are having are the result of the foster home placements and not the conditions which existed before the state intervened or other possible causes.

Read more
Answered on 5/12/99, 3:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina