Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

need to cross out part of amended answer already filed.

It's the 1st page all I need to change is cross out 3 defendants that were already dismissed? Just merely an oversight

Do I need to file a completely new amended complaint, along with the exhibits, or can I edit just one page?

Total pages are approx. 200

Asked on 10/18/17, 10:55 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

This is apparently something you have no idea how to do properly. This isn't a 'ask a question and fix things' proposition - we'd have to basically teach you how to be a lawyer and that simply can't be done in a limited forum like this. Suffice to say - you don't submit 'exhibits' with a complaint and if defendant's have already been dismissed from an action, it is likely unnecessary to amend an already amended complaint merely to remove them. You most definitely can not simply 'edit' it if it has already been filed. Your best bet is to hire an attorney who knows what they are doing. What you are doing is the equivalent of attempting to rebuild your cars transmission with a Phillips screw driver and a roll of duct tape and you aren't a mechanic.

Read more
Answered on 10/18/17, 2:05 pm
John Kirby Law Offices of John M. Kirby

This is a somewhat complicated question. I understand that you don't want to re-file 200 pages. The question is confusing in part because you refer to an amended answer and also to an amended complaint, and those things are different. There are times when you can file an "amendment" to a document (without having to re-file the entire original document). There are also times when you need the permission of the court (or the other side) to file an amendment. And as the other person commented, in this instance this particular mistake might not be a big deal worth correcting. And as noted, you might want to retain an attorney to guide you through this because it is a little bit complicated, and it will only get more complicated as the case goes through the court process.

Read more
Answered on 10/19/17, 5:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina