Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

I was involved in a motorcycle accident and the other party was at fault. His insurance adjuster called me and asked me to sign a release of my medical records. Do I have to release my medical records or do I just have to give the insurance company my bills?

Asked on 9/27/13, 12:11 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jay Mills Burns Day and Presnell, P.A.

You really should hire an attorney to help you get through this process. You should also stop talking with the insurance company as soon a possible if you want to get fair value for your claim. That being said, the other side is eventually going to get your records and bills (if they want them). I would not recommend signing the release at this point - get an attorney instead and make sure you do things right.

Good luck going forward.

Jay Mills

Read more
Answered on 9/27/13, 2:31 am

David Daggett Daggett Shuler, Attorneys At Law

Thank you for your question.

To answer your question directly, no you do not have to sign the release. We HIGHLY recommend that you speak with an experienced attorney before communicating further with the insurance company.

Please remember that it is very difficult to give full advice on limited information, and by e-mail. As is the case many times under the law, there is not necessarily a clear answer. Cases like this cases be very fact specific and further information may be helpful.

Thank you again, and please feel free to contact us if we can provide further information.

Best Wishes,

David D. Daggett

(I apologize in advance for poor typing skills)

Winston-Salem Office


[email protected] -

Read more
Answered on 9/27/13, 6:59 am
Mueni Muli Wanjohi & Muli Law Firm PLLC

No you do not have to and you should not. They will eventually get them but there are important steps that should be taken prior to that to protect you as the injured party. Consult an attorney- the adjusters are very experienced in dealing with claims like yours and they have attorneys on staff as well- you should not handle this on your own.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/13, 7:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina