Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

If I lose a civil law suit case against me concerning a car accident; can they force me to sell income property which is my only income or my home? The income property gives me about 40K/yr which keeps the mortgage and other bills paid without a whole lot extra. The car accident took place in CA. I now live in NC and my income property is in AZ. Thanks

Asked on 7/15/11, 10:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bob Bollinger Bollinger Law Firm PC

Possibly, if the verdict is larger than your insurance coverage limits.

People with assets should always buy large coverage for cars and homeowner liability. It is pretty cheap to buy a "Catastrophic" policy that will cover a verdict from about $300,000 to one or two million dollars.

The price of choosing to be underinsured is that you can lose the assets you have accumulated over the course of your lifetime.

You may want to stress to your insurance carrier that you want them to settle the case before trial. Your insurance adjuster can really screw you over by being hardnosed about settlement, trying to save the insurance company some money while throwing you and your assets under the bus. Some insurance companies are much worse about this than others, so it pays to buy your insurance from the better companies too.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/11, 2:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina