Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

Putting a value on

I was hit by a truck while running this summer, the driver received the citation. His insurance company wants to settle, so do I. I know what my medical bills, time lost from work,and permanent injury level is. What I would like to know is how to put a $ figure on pain and suffering plus change in standard of living. The other agent has said that is something I would have to come up with but if I hire a lawyer then the case will go to their lawyers and she will no longer be able to settle it. I am missing out on my favorite hobby as I am a running coach at a high school where I teach. I have run the Boston marathon the past 2 years and will not be qualified to do that, I am also missing out on numerous trophies and medals , I won 20 the year previous to the accident. How do I put a value on this type of emotional change. I have also developed a fear of running on roadways which I use to do almost daily, my massage therapist has recommended psychiatric help with this fear. How do I value this change. Thanks for any insight in helping me get a dolar figure that's fair.

Asked on 11/01/00, 9:42 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Pierce Robert S. Pierce, Attorney

Re: Putting a value on

YOu have quite a few important issues here. First, you cannot adequately value a claim unless you first obtain a disability rating from an independent medical expert, an economic loss impact assessment by a qualified economist, and other losses which can only be proven through family, friends and coworkers. You also need to factor in not only your present medical condition but the prospect that there may be the need for future medical attention as a result of your injuries. If you would like to discuss this matter send me an email and we can arrange a telephone conference at no charge. Definitely do not settle your claim without first consulting with a lawyer, regardless of what the adjuster says. You will lose a lot if your claim is not properly presented and negotiated, which only a lawyer can do for you. Good luck. [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/16/00, 10:07 pm

Eleanor MacCorkle Eleanor MacCorkle, Attorney at Law

Re: Putting a value on

Your need to consult with an attorney. You should not settle if you are still having fears of running. Seeing a mental health professional can document the problems you are experiencing and increase the amount of your settlement. Do not be fearful of the insurance company lawyers, as they have more authority to pay a larger settlement than the adjuster. In North Carolina, you have three years to file suit. It is in your best interest to consult an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 11/27/00, 3:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina