Legal Question in Sexual Harassment in North Carolina

I work for a national company with about 50 locations. I am the secretary and there about 13 men working in my office. One of the men is always telling me I am sexy, he would like me to go have a drink with him, comes behind my desk and rubs my shoulders, tells me he would just like to f**k me, etc, he knows that I am married and I have said everything to him to let him know that I am not interested. I have never seen a company handbook and have been working here 6 months. I have asked and was told we do not have one. If he comes into the office, I have 3 women that work in a room in the back, they leave hrs before me everyday, I will make one of them stay with me because I am so uncomfortable and I am nervous of what he might do. This is a "good ol boy" company if you know what I mean. I am called darling and sweetie everyday by many men, even management. Do I have a case and if so, do I have to work here after I file a case? They would make my life miserable.

Asked on 8/13/10, 1:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Geneva Yourse Cauley Pridgen, PA

First you need to file a complaint with the Human Resources (HR) department. They should do an investigation into the matter. It is worth filing the claim because if you quit, you will have no proof of the harassment. If the company does nothing and allows the harassment to continue, you should file a complaint with the EEOC.

Read more
Answered on 8/25/10, 3:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Sexual Harassment Law questions and answers in North Carolina