Legal Question in Workers Comp in North Carolina

I was hurt at work

I was hurt at work and I was wondering when can you get a second option about your case? Does it have to after they are finish with treating you or can you get one while you are being treated?

Asked on 1/24/07, 3:56 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Stephen Camak Lennon, Camak & Bertics, PLLC

Re: I was hurt at work

It depends on your situation.

If you want a second medical opinion on a major treatment recommendation from their doctor, you can likely get a second opinion immediately. If you want a second opinion on your permanent impairment after you have reached maximum medical improvement with their doctor, you have a statutory right to it. If you want to see if you should be going to PT 3x per week instead of 2x per week, you likely will be unsuccessful. Ask the Executive Secretary's Office at the NC Industrial Commission for permission in writing and they just might order the employer/insurance company to pay for a secoind opinion.

Make sure you have filed NCIC Form 18 with the NC Industrial Commission within 2 years of your date of injury. In addition to the Form 18, you can also download a Bulletin from their website for more information on the wc system. You can get the Commission's link from our site at ncworkcomp.comp. Good luck!

S. Neal Camak

Lennon & Camak. PLLC

Raleigh, NC

Read more
Answered on 1/24/07, 7:53 pm

Judy Tseng Wake Law Office

Re: I was hurt at work

I second the other attorney's opinion. Usually, people get 2nd opinions after they've been released by the treating physicians, either with or without a rating. This is the official website for the North Carolina Industrial Commission, which has a wealth of information and forms.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/07, 10:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in North Carolina