Legal Question in Immigration Law in North Dakota

A question on a FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is asking when I became a legal resident of North Dakota. I am a Canadian citizen. Initially, when I moved to ND in 2009 I was on a TD visa. I later switched to an H-4 visa in 2010 and I got a green card in 2013. When did North Dakota become my legal place of residence?

Asked on 8/13/13, 12:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

I would address this question with your financial aid advisor at school.

You were here legally as a TD, however, you were not a U.S. legal permanent resident until you obtained the "greencard". It just depends on what they mean by "legal resident of ND".

Read more
Answered on 8/13/13, 1:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in North Dakota