Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Ohio

I have signed a contract with a contractor to do some work on my house. After doing some research i found out that this company has some bad reviews and Iím not comfortable with them performing the work. I have a signed contract but they did not sign it. Is it binding? I live in the great state of Ohio.

Asked on 12/03/12, 11:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Myers Myers Law, LLC

Whether you can cancel the contract depends on (1) what the contract says, (2) how long ago you signed it, (3) whether the company violated the Consumer Sales Practices Act with you, and (4) whether the company violated the Home Solicitation Sales Act.

If the transaction falls under the Home Solicitation Sales Act, you have a three-day right to cancel the contract. If the contract falls under the Act and is missing the three-day notice or the duplicate attached Notices of Cancellation required by the Act, you may be able to cancel it and receive a refund even today. I do not know if the Act applies to you--you need to speak with an attorney about your specific situation.

If the contract allows you to cancel it, you can follow that process to do so, as well.

The Consumer Sales Practices Act allows you to rescind a contract and receive a refund if done within a reasonable time after a violation occurs. You should contact a lawyer to see if this law was violated by your contractor.

You may have some options, I don't know based on what you wrote here, but some may require a lawyer's advice about your specific facts to see if they are viable options. You can check out for more about your rights with contractors.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/12, 12:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Ohio