Legal Question in Criminal Law in Ohio

i got stopped by wallmart for shoplifting with a friend and i ran away and he stayed they have my name and number what can they do?

Asked on 1/06/14, 10:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Sauter Cloppert, Latanick, Sauter & Washburn

While I can't give you legal advice and nothing I say should be interpreted as legal advice, I can generally say that retailers who suspect or catch shoplifters can and commonly do send them civil demand letters in the mail. The civil demand letter commonly states that unless the suspected shoplifter pays the store of sum of money and stays away from the store in the future, the store may report the shoplifting to the prosecutor, who may decide to file charges.

Your decision, should you get such a letter, is whether to pay the amount of money demanded, or, if you don't, risk having the theft be referred for possible criminal charges.

Read more
Answered on 1/09/14, 12:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Ohio