Legal Question in DUI Law in Ohio

After my case was dismissed, I received a call from a officer who told me I needed to come in and sign a ticket so my case could be refiled. If a warrant would be issued. Am I obligated, is my question.

Asked on 2/21/16, 4:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

In Ohio, in order for the court to obtain jurisdiction over you on any case, you must be served with notice of the charges against you. This is done by having you come in and sign the ticket. If they can't get you in to sign the ticket, then they have to go out and find you. Rather than them spending the time to find you, they would rather just put out a warrant for your arrest so that the next time you come into contact with the police, they will find the warrant, ship you to that police station, and they will serve you with the warrant.

Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt, it is only acknowledging that you are in receipt of notice of the new charges against you. It also does not mean that the new charges will be any more effective than the old charges at getting you convicted. Best to go in and sign the ticket and face the charges with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 2/21/16, 6:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Ohio