Legal Question in Elder Law in Ohio

Estate question-My step father passed away and does not have a will. I am a joint holder on his bank account which is probably about $3000.00. He also has a car and no other assets. The life insurance is being used to pay the funeral bill along with any other money. The balance will be used to pay the bills he incured. Do we need to file something with the state, what do we need to do if anything? We live in OHIO

Asked on 6/27/13, 1:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christine Socrates Christine Sabio Socrates, Attorney at Law

The bank account will go to you directly since it is held jointly with you. You may be able to file for a "Release of Assets" from the probate court where your father resided in order to get the car and any other assets released and distributed to the heirs. If your step father died without a will, unfortunately, then his heirs would inherit, probably not you if you were only a step son and not legally adopted by him. There may be Ohio or Federal Estate taxed owed depending on what the value of his assets were at the time of his death.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/13, 8:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Ohio