Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

i got cancer alomost cured still weak cancer was in my mouth, i have no money, i drove truck all my life for 33 years i am 50 years old, i,m trying to get better to drive again, my wife is handy cap from a car wreck in 2008, my cancer started in 2009, i pay child suport every week until i took sick, lake county OH. keeps suspended my CDL. what gives them the right, my daughter turned 21 last Feb. i was told she went back to school but lake county wont prove it to me, i dont have money i still dont have medical INS. my S.S.D. dont pay enough for wife and i to live, lake county in Ohio rail road me bad please help. James Tucker

i'm sure i can get healthy to work again

Asked on 7/25/11, 10:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

In Ohio, your support obligations continue until they are fully paid, so if you were in arrears on any of the amounts you owed, the fact that your child turned 18 or even 21 does not mean that you can get out of paying the back support owed.

If there was a period of time when your income changed, then you would need to bring that to the attention of the court or the child support enforcement agency and ask for the change in your income to be taken into account with regard to what you owe. It is possible to get a retroactive order if you have documentation to support your claims of the inability to work, though it is always preferable to bring such claims as they arise rather than later in time.

Read more
Answered on 7/26/11, 8:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio