Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

My ex girlfriend is married but is pregnant with my child will the child be able to get my . Last name or do I need to file to get it changed to my last name.

Asked on 8/14/13, 5:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

In Ohio, there is a presumption that a child born to married persons is the child of those persons. In order to establish paternity, you would have to bring a lawsuit before the juvenile division of the county court of common pleas to establish your relationship (through DNA testing) of you and the child.

As for the child's last name, that is something you and the child's mother are going to have to work out. If you can't work it out, then the court is going to make the decision as to what is in the child's best interest.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/13, 6:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio