Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

giving up parental rights

i want to know if its posible to give up parental right to a child ,and if it is how do i do it?

Asked on 8/22/01, 8:26 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathan Schiff Self employed

Re: giving up parental rights

Possible, but, depending on the age and condition of the child, not likely. The reason is that the only circumstances in Ohio where parents can free themselves of all parental rights and responsibilities are by a children services board obtaining a permanent commitment on a child through a dependency proceeding or by a surrender of a child to effect an adoptive placement.

Both parents have to be notified and, except in the case of a permanent commitment and certain other defined circumstances, both have to consent.

As I don't know anything else about your circumstance, I can't tell you any more than that.

Read more
Answered on 8/23/01, 9:06 pm

Gregg Manes Gregg A. Manes, Esq.

Re: giving up parental rights

The primary way to give up parental rights is to have the other parent's significant other or someone adopt the child. Otherwise, you are responsible until the child turns 18 or graduates high school.

Good Luck!!

Read more
Answered on 8/23/01, 10:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio