Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

just moved from my husband less than a week ago..have our son but he kept my daughter she is supposed to come to my mothers this weekend for her birthday, but as it gets closer he says he doesnt think its happening because he has plans with her but her birthday is july 4 and he will have her then...he changing the story and wont let me talk to her he says she wants to livew with him, but i think he is lying, besides, can she make that call at 11 yrs old...what can i do? i dont have money for a custody battle with him...he says he has the upper hands this time

Asked on 7/02/13, 2:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

In Ohio, until one spouse files for divorce with the court, there is little that anyone can do the force the other spouse into an enforceable visitation arrangement. As far as not having the money for a custody battle, while it helps to have an attorney with you, there are many courts in Ohio where parents who represent themselves do just fine since the Court is looking at what is in the best interests of the children rather than what the parents want.

There is also the possibility of going to a local legal aid society, a local law school's legal clinic, or calling up your local bar association for an attorney who might do pro bono work in the area.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 12:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio