Legal Question in Family Law in Ohio

My niece is a single mom of a 1 year old daughter. She wants to have custody of her daughter and wanted to know how to go about it. She's signed up to start school next month for Mediclal Asistant. She has no money or car.

Asked on 2/02/16, 7:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Izzo Graff & McGovern LPA

In Ohio, children born of unwed mothers are in the sole custody of their mother, until a court determines otherwise.

By asking for any kind of public assistance, the local agency should require her to participate in establishing paternity for the minor child.

This opens up the opportunity for child support and medical insurance for the minor child.

However, the establishment of paternity also allows the father the opportunity for custody and visitation.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/16, 5:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ohio