Legal Question in Medical Leave in Ohio

I live in Ohio and work in Wooster, OH for a children's home (in case this makes any difference). Can I take a couple of weeks of family to care for my mother in California after knee surgery.

When I asked them last year, they told me I could not.

Many thanks for any direction on this.

Asked on 8/15/10, 10:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Neil Rubin Neil S. Rubin, Attorney at Law, LLC

If you are eligible for FMLA (Family Medical and Leave Act), then yes.

1) Your employer must have at least 50 employes in a 75 mile radius.

2) You have worked for this employer for at least one year.

3) In that year you must have worked for at least 1250 hours.

4) Your mother's doctor must fill out FMLA paperwork and certify that it is a "serious" condition which requires your help.

And, this time is without pay.

Go to HR and get the paperwork. They are required to give it to you. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/10, 8:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Medical Leave Act questions and answers in Ohio