Legal Question in Federal Tort Claims in Ohio

Government Liability as an Employer

I worked in a government test lab for fifteen years.

A couple years ago I got real sick. I have brain damage from chemicals at work. The government was very careless in did not install proper safety equipment and had incompetent management in charge. I can't work any more. Management is refusing to tell the others that they have been exposed. Even after I was tested by a group that specializes in illness caused by toxic chemicals.

I get sick a lot and have bad headache. The doctor says I can't go to work.

Can the Federal Government be sued because their negligence caused my injuries? How can I make them protect the other workers?

Asked on 8/17/99, 10:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Guehl Guehl Law Offices

Re: Government Liability as an Employer

The Federal Government can be sued under the Federal Tort Claims Act. However, there are time limitations, as well as limitations based on your status with the government, which are factual questions. In addition, you must be able to prove negligence and direct causation of your injuries from the government's negligence.

I formerly worked as a defense attorney with the Army Claims Service and the Air Force Tort Litigation staff, and have handled a number of injured party's claims against the Federal government since going into private practice in 1980. Your case needs worked up on a factual basis in order to adequately advise you further.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/99, 11:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Federal Tort Claims Act Litigation questions and answers in Ohio