Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Ohio


I have been taken to court by my ex-husband regarding the way I endorsed a check for charges put on my credit cards that he promised to repay. I want to appeal the jude's decision and hire a more experienced attorney. My question is, is this what you would call a Civil case? When I look in the phone book or on line I see Civil Rights. Is this a domestic case? I guessed at the ''Area of Law'' below.

Asked on 3/05/07, 3:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Brandabur Brandabur Law, LLC

Re: Civil

There is no "official" terminology that would apply. This would involve what is frequently referred to an appellate practice, however, civil law or litigation are also commonly used. Please keep in mind that you have a very limited time within which file a notice of appeal. You did not specify if this was a decision of a trial judge or a magistrate. That may dictate the amount of time for the appeal.

Read more
Answered on 3/06/07, 10:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Ohio