Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Ohio

I co-signed a car for my son in 2006. He has since lost his job and has no income. I have made sporadic payments in the past. Now I am faced with the balance of $4400. I can�t afford the payment on top of school loans I am also paying. I took a personal loan and paid the balance of the car loan to get payments less for me to handle to avoid damaging my credit rating. My name is also on the title which I now have in my possession. The car is far from perfect condition. It would need about $1200 of body work to bring back to sellable condition. I want to get the car back from him, fix it and sell it. I should be able to sell for at least $8000. I offered to sell the car, pay myself back the $4400 and then buy him a cheaper car. He refuses to do that. What is my legal right to get the car from him and sell it? His name is also on the title but won�t sign it over to me. I am in the state of Ohio.

Asked on 10/26/11, 10:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lisa Meier Law Office of Anthony W. Greco

I have never done it, but I believe that you can file an action in court to force the sale (or buy-out by co-owner) of the co-owned vehicle. I know you can do this in real estate, but I believe you can also do this for a vehicle. If you contact an attorney, you can have the attorney write a demand letter to possibly even settle this out of court.

Lisa K. Meier

Gurtner & Meier, LLC

[email protected]

This response is based on the limited facts you have provided and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. I cannot provide adequate advice to you without meeting with you in person. If you would like to schedule a free consultation, please feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 10/27/11, 8:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Ohio