Legal Question in Immigration Law in Ohio

My wife is from India. I am living in US on F1 visa. She want to come here and ask for asylum. She is from northeast part of India, one small Tribe place and their parrents and family are not happy she is with me and she is treatened by her family and she cant go back anymore since we are married. Do you think she is eligible to ask for asylum in the US?

Asked on 8/13/13, 6:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Political asylum has nothing to do with domestic (family) issues & should not be used as a way to escape one's family problems abroad.

If you are legally married & already in F-1 status, then your wife can apply for an F-2 visa at the U.S. Consulate in India right now.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/13, 7:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Ohio