Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Ohio

I just moved into a 2 family house about 2 weeks ago and the landlord was very nice when renting the place to me, telling me to call him when anything goes wrong or something needs fixing. He said he would prefer it that way. Well since I have moved in it has been 1 thing after another. First the carpets were dirty and he said he would take some money after my next months rent if we cleaned them. Well my daughter is going to but I don't think he will take much money off for it so she hasn't done it yet. But then the microwave doesn't work and he told me it would be a few months before he could afford to replace it. I ahve been eating out ever since moving in as the stove is also disgusting I was just going to replace it and put his in the garage after talking to him. When pulling his stove out, we found a wire running up the wall but it is exposed and then there are paper towels stuffed in holes behind it and this seems unsafe. Windows are missing screens and I can't get extra keys made so I only have 1 key. The locksmith said the landlord needed to replace the lock but he said no he would have keys made the next day but he hasn't. When does he become a slumlord and I can not afford to move again, can I make him pay for my move? Is he a slum lord at this point? I hate calling him because he always gets loud and discusses the cost of things and exagerates alot.

Asked on 9/23/09, 11:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dan Guinn Guinn Law Firm, LLC

I am sorry about your situation and it sounds like you need an attorney to represent you in this process. He does sound like a slumlord due to the condition of the apartment. There are a lot of safety issues and it sounds like he is not going to replace or repair any of the defects in the house. We can possibly make him pay for the move if he chooses not the make the necessary repairs. However, we have to give him a chance to do this. I would be happy to represent you in this and have a lot of experience in this area of the law.

Feel free to contact me, free of charge, at [email protected] or at 330-447-7634. I am happy to help in anyway that I can.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dan Guinn

Guinn Law Firm-"Affordable Rates, Outstanding Service"

Read more
Answered on 9/26/09, 12:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Ohio