Legal Question in Military Law in Ohio

Army medical discharge

been in 6 years, injured during second tour to iraq in an IED explosion....damage to knee and 80 percent loss of hearing in R ear, 20 in L ear.....headaches, bloody noses, bleeding ulcer and want to get out......what do i need to do to secure future compensation, get medical discharge and get out ASAP

Asked on 6/30/09, 11:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William J. Holmes Attorney at Military Law

Re: Army medical discharge

The first thing you need to do is to make sure that you are getting treatment and help for all of these issues. If you have problems, be sure to go to sick call and see the appropriate doctors for treatment. Once the doctors determine that these conditions are permanent injuries and cannot be resolved, they will begin processing you for a medical discharge board called a Physical Evaluation Board (PEB). This is the formal process of determining whether you are fit for continued active duty and to award compensation based on your injuries. This process sometimes drags out a while, but it is worth the wait as this is your only chance for compensation from the military and will also affect any potential VA benefits. You have the right to consult with and be represented by an attorney through this process although most JAG lawyers do not have any experience with medical boards or discharges. This can be a complex field when determining the correct disability ratings and compensation so be sure that you speak with an attorney who has experience in military medical discharge boards.

I hope this has answered your questions. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 7/06/09, 11:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Ohio