Legal Question in Military Law in Ohio

paying back the army

My daughter has been summary courts-martial and has to spend 15 days in jail and was told she had to pay back $850 to the army - I don't have her courts martial papers but does this have to be paid before you get discharged?

Asked on 8/15/08, 10:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip D. Cave Military Law & Justice

Re: paying back the army

Actually this sounds more like a forfeiture of pay. A possible punishment at SCM is the forfeiture of half a months pay per month for one month. The amount will automatically be deducted from her pay by the finance center when the results is "approved" by the commander.

She should be aware that a potential next step is for them to consider administrative discharge under adverse conditions. DO NOT waive any rights, it won't help, especially later if she gets discharged and ever wants to try for discharge upgrade.

Read more
Answered on 8/15/08, 3:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Ohio