Legal Question in Personal Injury in Ohio

Type your question here...I received a summons for a car accident that happened 2 years ago. The summons states \"You are hereby sommoned and required to serve upon the plaintiff\'s attorney a copy of an answer to the complaint on or before\" I am not currently employed and unsure of what I need to do conserning this matter. It states that if I fail to appear and defend that the judgement will be defaulted against me. \n\nThanks for any help or advice.

Asked on 7/29/09, 4:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Melissa Lipchak Melissa R. Lipchak, Attorney at Law

If there was motor vehicle liability insurance insuring you or the vehicle you were driving at the time of the accident, you should contact that insurance company immediately. In addition, you should contact your local Legal Aid organization to see if you would qualify for an attorney at a reduced rate or one may represent you without any cost to you (pro bono). Most importantly, you must answer the complaint by admitting, denying, or claiming lack of knowlege for each allegaion in each paragraph of the Complaint. You must serve the Answer within 28 days of receiving the summons and complaint on the Plaintiff's attorney. You can serve the Answer by mail (mail it at least a week before it is due) or hand delivery and you must certify at the end of your answer that you served it upon the attorney by mail or hand-delivery on whatever date you send or deliver it. This Answer must also be filed with the Clerk of Courts were the Complaint was filed. Follow the form of the Complaint to compose your Answer.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/09, 4:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Ohio