Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Ohio

I recently moved out of an apartment. During move-in I completed a move-in checklist documenting any damages to the apartment including carpet issues. I returned these documents to apartment management to keep in my file. I complained several times in person to apartment management about the carpet. I have several witness's that can state the carpet condition upon move in and move out. Having been moved about for about a month now i recently received a letter stating i was being charged for the replacement of the carpet. I expressed my concern to the regional manager who indicated via email that there was no move-in checklist in the file. Can the apartment complex legally charge me for replacement if they lost the documentation we provided?

Asked on 10/25/11, 6:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Simon Johnson Law Offices of Simon W. Johnson

The landlord can charge you for that and if they have your security deposit they can just keep the deposit. That doesn't mean they can get away with it. You can file in the local municipal or small claims court so that you can present your side of the story. The landlord is most likely hoping that going to court is too much trouble for you - both time and cost-wise.

Best regards,

Simon W. Johnson

[email protected]

(440) 477-6075

This response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Ohio. Responses are based solely on Ohio law unless stated otherwise.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/11, 6:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Ohio